Work Begins

The weather is finally getting better, and it's warming up! It got into the mid-50's yesterday, and we spent Sunday afternoon doing the first bit of demolition inside the house.

I did not do a very good job of taking before and after pictures, so I'm going to have to use the few pictures that I do have.

The kitchen will be ready for delivery in 1-week, and the house is not ready for it! This weekend we took down the two walls that were standing in the way of our open floor plan. They also had to be removed to allow for the additional kitchen space. This brought in so much more light from the southern windows, and really opened up the space.

BEFORE
(when purchased)

PART-WAY AFTER-ISH
livingroom1a  livingroom1b   livingroom1c
BEFORE
(when purchased)
PART-WAY AFTER-ISH
 livingroom2a  livingroom2b  livingroom2d

 

Then we removed a couple of walls that were hiding the staircase structure (no pictures). We wanted to get a better look at what it would take to rearrange the staircase. I'd really like the staircase to be a part of the house, and right now it's hidden in a closet. But moving a staircase is a lot of work to pile on top of the work we already have to do.

After that was done, we went upstairs and removed a wall in one of the bedrooms to open up the space for what will become our 2 upstairs bathrooms. The stairs to the attic space will have to be relocated (in case you didn't figure that out).

BEFORE
(when purchased)
AFTER-ISH
upbath1a  upbath1b 

 

The blue lines are the walls that were removed on Sunday.

layout08302014

Then there was dealing with some serious overgrowth around the house. Trees were sprouting up EVERYWHERE. The biggest eyesore were the trees growing out of the front porch, and all through the lattice that surroundeds the front porch. I should have taken pictures, but I didn't. So, I am showing you pictures that were taken when we first went to look at the property in January. In the second image, you can see where the trees are actually growing through the front porch.

frontporchfrontporch1

We also removed similar tree overgrowth from all around the house, but those were far less of an eyesore than the front porch. The entire front porch needs to be removed (concrete and wood). We plan to put in a wrap-around covered porch, but that's not very high on the to-do list.

Those were our big accomplishments on Sunday afternoon. Chris will go over to the house after work this week to get more work done. I'll be able to join him again this weekend to continue progress. The weather forecast says that it'll be in the 40's and 50's all week, and we might even get up to 60 on Friday. Unforunately, the forecast also calls for rain on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The rain won't stop us from working on the inside of the house, but the ground is already saturated, and it would be nice for things to dry out a little bit.

Oh! I almost forgot! We also took the time to string-out the area that will be used for the chicken coop. I'll blog about that a bit later, because we plan to enlarge the pastures, and possibly postpone the chickens for another year.